Marriage License Information
To Obtain a Marriage License
To obtain a marriage license at our Clerk’s office, you will need the following:
- Both parties need to be present at the same time. See Who May Marry in Virginia for age requirement and prohibited marriages in Virginia.
- Both parties must have a valid, non-expired government issued photo ID such as a driver’s license, passport, or DMV issued ID card
- $30 fee payable by cash, check, money order or credit card. All credit card transactions will include a 4% surcharge.
- There are no residency requirements and couples may purchase their marriage license at any Circuit Court in Virginia.
- The marriage ceremony must be performed in Virginia within 60 days after the license is issued. There is no waiting period required between application and issuance of the license and a couple may be married immediately after the issuance of a license.
- No blood test is required.
- For divorced persons, there is no statutory waiting period before marriage after the divorce is granted. A copy of divorce decree is not required.
Marriage licenses are issued Monday - Friday, from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. At the Clerk’s Office, both parties will use the marriage kiosk computer in the deed room to enter required information for application. It will take approximately 10-15 minutes to complete the application in the office and take the oath. You should plan to arrive by 4:45 pm to allow sufficient time to complete the application in our office and take the oath.
**Please note that if you plan to visit our office, electronic devices such as phones, tablets, computers, etc. are not allowed in the building.**
Complete the Application
YOU CAN SUBMIT THE INFORMATION BEFORE ARRIVING BY USING THE ONLINE MARRIAGE APPLICATION VIA EAGLEWEB
- Click Enter to Login then click Public Login
- Select Applications on Menu above.
- Click New to start application
Our office does not provide "Justice of the Peace" services at the Courthouse for immediate unions. There is a list of civil celebrants available in our office or on the website here.
Information Required For Marriage Licenses
- Full name
- Age and Date of birth
- Place of birth (state or foreign country)
- Number of this marriage (first, second, third, etc)
- Marital status (widowed or divorced, if previously married)
- Education (highest grade completed)
- Names of both parents (first, middle, and maiden last)