Business Trade Name
A Fictitious Trade Name is required if a business is conducted in Virginia under a name other than the owner's legal name. An assumed or fictitious name certificate must be filed in the office of the Clerk of the Circuit Court in each county or city where business is to be conducted. No person, partnership, limited liability company or corporation may conduct or transact business in the Commonwealth under any assumed or fictitious name until they file a certificate in the Circuit Court Clerk's Office in the county or city in which their business is conducted pursuant to §59.1-69 of the Code of Virginia.
Certificate of Assumed or Fictitious Name *Works best with IE or Firefox
Dissolution of a business (Individual or Partnership)
Dissolution of a business (Corporation or LLC)
All forms are available for completion on a public computer in the Clerk's Office Deed Room.
- Form must be typed.
- Only one assumed or fictitious name of business per form; if using more than one assumed name for the business, a separate form will need to be filed for each name or abbreviation.
- Only one entity type can be selected (section 2) with only the corresponding subsection (A, B or C) per that type completed. If additional subsections are completed or more than one entity type is selected, form will be rejected.
- Signature(s) must be notarized or can be signed in person before a deputy clerk at the Clerk’s Office with a proper government issued photo ID.
- Filing Fee is $10. We accept cash, checks, money orders and credit cards. All credit card transactions will include a 4% surcharge. Checks can be made payable to Clerk of Court.
- Form can be filed in person at the Circuit Court Deed Room or mailed with payment and self-addressed stamped envelope to:
Rockingham County Circuit Court
Attn: Deed Room
80 Court Square
Harrisonburg, VA 22802
Search To avoid duplication of a business name it is recommended that the owner(s) review the Assumed Name index. The Clerk's Office does not check business names for duplicates when recording. You are strongly encouraged to consult with an attorney concerning the protection of your business trade name. A trade name filed at the local level does not have the same status as one filed with the SCC.
If you would like to search for registered trade names online, our records are available on EagleWeb under the Assumed Names tab. Indexed data is free to search by using the Public Login. Viewing images requires a subscription. Subscriptions can be purchased directly via EagleWeb 24/7. Public access stations are also available in the Deed Room at the Clerk's Office.
**Please note that if you plan to visit our office, electronic devices such as phones, tablets, computers, etc. are not allowed in the building.**