How Do I
Click to Home

Go To Search
Rockingham County
Administration Center
20 E. Gay St.
Harrisonburg, VA 22802
What type of inspections will take place once my permit is issued and I have begun construction?
Inspections of the following will take place:
  • Footer inspection with reinforcement installed, as well as bulkheads, if required (rebar must be elevated 3’ inches off the bottom of the footer)

  • Underfloor plumbing before pouring concrete floor

  • Foundation inspection (4-inch leach bed pipe covered with gravel and silt paper) prior to backfilling (stone must be at least 6 inches above the pipe and 12 inches out from the edge of footings)

  • Plumbing rough-in

  • Mechanical rough-in

  • Electrical rough-in

  • Framing inspection (only done after all plumbing, mechanical, and electrical rough-ins)

  • Insulation inspection

  • Mechanical final

  • Electrical final

  • Building and plumbing final

Community Development - Building Permits

Show All Answers

1. How do I apply for a building permit?
2. How do I schedule inspections?
3. What type of inspections will take place once my permit is issued and I have begun construction?
4. How do I list myself as my own contractor?
5. How can I view my property on the County’s map and obtain information such as: Acreage, Zoning, & Floodplain?
6. My property is located in the floodplain, can I still build in this area?
7. My property is < 1 Acre and I am building an enclosed addition to my property, will I need a foundation survey?
8. How do I obtain a business license?
9. What is a home occupation permit, and do I need one?
10. How do I apply for a special use permit?
11. How do I apply for a poultry house?
12. Do I need a permit for open air burning?
13. How do I apply for my well and septic permits?
14. Where do I place my building permit?
15. Do I need a building permit?
16. What is required to build a new home in Rockingham County?
17. What do I need to do to obtain a manufactured home placement permit?
18. My property is located within one of the seven towns in Rockingham County. How do I obtain town zoning approval?
19. What is a farm building exemption and how do I apply for one?