Rockingham County's building regulations are contained in Chapter 7 of the County Code.
Rockingham County, along with all other localities in the State of Virginia, utilizes the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code (USBC). This is a document produced by the Virginia Board of Housing and Community Development. It is based upon the model codes published by The International Code Council (ICC) and the National Fire Prevention Association. It is updated on a three-year cycle along with each of the model codes. The current edition of the USBC is 2012, with an effective date of July 14, 2014. The referenced model codes are as follows:
• 2012 International Building Code
• 2012 International Fire Prevention Code
• 2012 International Property Maintenance Code
• 2012 International Mechanical Code
• 2012 International Plumbing Code
• 2012 International Residential Code
• 2011 National Electrical Code
New Building Code Online
The Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development has partnered with the ICC to publish a Virginia version of the ICC model codes. This special printing includes all of the Virginia modifications to the ICC model documents. The Virginia codes are available for purchase through the ICC.