Do I need a permit for open air burning?
Yes, a permit is required for all open air burning. The Rockingham County Fire Prevention Code prohibits the open burning of household trash, construction debris, rubber tires, asphalt shingles, plastics, rubber, vinyl, plywood, treated lumber, OSB, or similar items.

A Violation of any provision of the Rockingham County Fire Prevention Code is a Class 1 Misdemeanor, punishable by confinement in jail for not more than twelve months and a fine. Fires must be attended at all times and completely extinguished before leaving.

Rockingham County Fire Marshals Office
20 East Gay St.
Harrisonburg, Va 22802
(540) 564-3175

Show All Answers

1. How do I apply for a building permit?
2. How do I schedule inspections?
3. What type of inspections will take place once my permit is issued and I have begun construction?
4. How do I list myself as my own contractor?
5. How can I view my property on the County’s map and obtain information such as: Acreage, Zoning, & Floodplain?
6. My property is located in the floodplain, can I still build in this area?
7. My property is < 1 Acre and I am building an enclosed addition to my property, will I need a foundation survey?
8. How do I obtain a business license?
9. What is a home occupation permit, and do I need one?
10. How do I apply for a special use permit?
11. How do I apply for a poultry house?
12. Do I need a permit for open air burning?
13. How do I apply for my well and septic permits?
14. Where do I place my building permit?
15. Do I need a building permit?
16. What is required to build a new home in Rockingham County?
17. What do I need to do to obtain a manufactured home placement permit?
18. My property is located within one of the seven towns in Rockingham County. How do I obtain town zoning approval?
19. What is a farm building exemption and how do I apply for one?