I just began operation of a business in Rockingham County. Am I going to be taxed by the County?

Rockingham County does not prorate. If you began a business in Rockingham County before January 1 of the year you will be assessed by Rockingham County.

When and how do I report my business personal property?

All businesses must file a Tangible Personal Property form by May 1 of each year that reports all property owned as of January 1 of each tax year. Complete and file the Personal Property Return for all vehicles, watercraft, aircraft, manufactured homes, mobile offices, and other property listed on the form. Complete the Business Personal Return and file it with required attachments for all business property and Merchants’ Capital.

What is the penalty for late filing or failure to file the personal property return for a business?

Failure to file a completed form with required attachments on or before the due date of May 1 will result in a late filing penalty of $10 or 10% of the tax due, whichever is greater.

May I request an extension to file?

Yes. You must request an extension to file no later than May 1 of each tax year. The extension to file will be extended for 90 days. The filing deadline is August 1 when an extension to file is granted.