- Clerk of Circuit Court
- Copy Requests
- Request Certified Copy of Marriage LIcense
Request for Certified Copy of Marriage License
For Marriage Licenses Issued by Rockingham County Circuit Court
There are several ways to request certified copies of your marriage license:
- In person at the Clerk’s Office during normal office hours, Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm. Certified copies are $2.50 each. We accept cash, checks, money orders and credit cards. All credit card transactions will include a 4% surcharge. We will be able to issue a certified copy as soon as we receive the license from the officiant who performed the ceremony. The officiant has 5 days to return the license to our office per § 32.1-267(C).
- Online: Go to www.rockinghamcountyva.gov/sra.
- Accept the disclaimer. Click on Document Search - Web. Scroll to the bottom of the page to click on Marriage Search and Certified Copy Request
- Enter one of the names as it was on the application in the Either Party Name field then click Search.
- If there is a finalized date shown, you can request a copy by clicking on the shopping cart + button that appears on the far right when the cursor is on the record or you can view the record and click on the +Purchase button on the right side of the screen. If there is not a finalized date or a shopping cart icon, the license has not been returned yet. Try again later.
- The purchase window will appear, enter the # of copies you need and click on Proceed to Checkout.
- Enter Customer Information and Shipping Information and click on Place your Order to proceed to the payment screen to enter credit card information.
- Requests received before 4:00 PM will be processed and mailed on the same day. Requests received after 4:00 PM will be processed and mailed the next business day.
- By phone - Payment must be made over the phone by credit card only. Certified copies are $2.60 each including the 4% surcharge and copies will be mailed the same day unless requested after 4:00. Copies can be requested at 540-564-3126 or 540-574-4353.
- By mail - Please provide names of the parties and date of marriage. You can mail a copy request along with payment for copies ($2.50 each per a copy) and a self-addressed stamped envelope to our office. Checks should be made payable to Clerk of Court.
Rockingham County Circuit Court
Attn: Marriage License
80 Court Square
Harrisonburg, VA 22802
For Marriage Licenses Issued by Another Office:
If you know which office issued the license, contact that office directly, If you are unsure of which circuit court issued the marriage license, you can request a copy of the marriage license through the Office of Vital Records. You may also obtain a certified copy from your local Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) if the license was issued in Virginia.