Clerk of Circuit Court
THE CLERK’S OFFICE IS NOW OPEN 8:30 am-4:30 pm, monday-friday. PLEASE READ BELOW FOR GUIDELINES within each division AND ONLINE OPTIONS. PLEASE CONTACT OUR OFFICE TO SEE IF WE CAN HELP YOU BY PHONE.
***A mask or face covering that covers your mouth and nose must be worn in the building per the Fifth Order by the Supreme Court of Virginia linked above. See order for full text.***
- Criminal Division: Filings will be processed daily.
- Fines & Costs Payments: Payments are encouraged to be made online at: www.rockinghamcountyva.gov/pay. Mailed payments will still be processed daily. Payments will be accepted during normal office hours for those who do not want to use the online or mail option.
- Civil Filings: E-filing is available. We request that all forms by completed prior to coming to our office to file, if possible. Click on Civil Division on the menu on the left for more information on various filing types and forms available online. For questions, contact the Civil Division at 540-564-3113 or 540-564-3114 during normal office hours.
- Concealed Handgun Permits:
- New applications - Please make sure you have what is needed prior to coming to the courthouse. Application must be completed prior to coming to the office.
- Renewals - See information under Renewal Applicants, application with supporting documentation can be mailed in with payment or filed in the office during normal office hours. Application must be completed prior to coming to the office.
- Request for Replacement Permits - Applicable form must be completed prior to coming to the office. Request can also be mailed in with previous permit, if applicable, and payment.
- Land Records: Recording tray will be available in the Deed Room. We partner with four vendors for e-recording of land records. Mail is processed daily.
- Deed Copies/Searches: There will be a limited number of search stations available for public use due to social distancing guidelines. Copies can be requested over the phone at 540-564-3126 or 540-574-4353.
- Secure Remote Access: Our land records are available at www.rockinghamcountyva.gov/sra. Indexes are available for free using the Public Login option. New subscriptions to view images can be purchased on the site 24 hours a day.
- Probate: Please call 540-574-4320 or 540-437-0521 during office hours to request an appointment. If you have a probate filing that does not require an appointment, such as filing a real estate affidavit, it can be dropped off or mailed in with proper payment.
- Notary Commissions: Please do not come to the office unless you have been notified that we have your commission.
- Marriage Licenses: We are issuing marriage licenses during normal office hours. Please complete the application prior to coming to the office. We are requesting that only the parties applying come to the office during the application process. We will have one public station available to use if you are unable to complete it prior to coming in. Notarized affidavits can still be dropped off during normal office hours or mailed in with proper payment. If you would prefer to use the affidavit methodafter June 8, 2020, please complete the online application and notify our office that you would like us to prepare an affidavit.
- Certified Copies of Marriage Licenses: Certified copies can be requested over the phone using a credit card for payment at 540-564-3126 or 540-574-4353. Copies can be obtained in person but by phone is our preferred method at this time.
- Passports: We are accepting applications, but the U.S. Department of State is currently operating at a reduced level so expect significant delays with processing. It could be several months before you receive your passport. We are unable to advise when the Department of State may be caught up with the process. All expedited services are currently suspended. Applications must be completed prior to coming to the office. Only individuals applying for a passport or required for a minor’s passport will be allowed in the office when applying.
- For emergency travel, you may want to visit the U.S. Department of State website or contact Congressman Ben Cline’s Harrisonburg office at 540-432-2391 for guidance.
ABOUT THE CLERK
Chaz W. Haywood serves as the Clerk of Court after having been sworn into office in 2008.
The Rockingham County Circuit Court Clerk’s Office serves Rockingham County and the City of Harrisonburg.The Clerk’s Office is responsible for:
- Filing of all civil suits
- Docketing and filing of criminal actions
- Recording real estate records and plats
- Issuing marriage licenses
- Probating wills
- Processing notary public applications
- Recording military discharge forms (DD-214s)
Many of your questions regarding the services that my office performs may be answered on this website. Please find the appropriate division to the left for more detailed information for that division or service. If at any time additional information is needed, please do not hesitate to contact the Clerk's Office.
For contact information organized by department, please use our Staff Directory.
|Photo by Branden Thompson