Marriage License Information
To Obtain a Marriage License
To obtain a marriage license at our Clerk’s office, you will need the following:
- Both parties need to be present at the same time. See Who May Marry in Virginia for age requirement and prohibited marriages in Virginia.
- Both parties must have a valid, non-expired government issued photo ID such as a driver’s license, passport, or DMV issued ID card
- $30 fee payable by cash, check, money order or credit card. All credit card transactions will include a 4% surcharge.
- There are no residency requirements and couples may purchase their marriage license at any Circuit Court in Virginia.
- The marriage ceremony must be performed in Virginia within 60 days after the license is issued. There is no waiting period required between application and issuance of the license and a couple may be married immediately after the issuance of a license.
- No blood test is required.
- For divorced persons, there is no statutory waiting period before marriage after the divorce is granted. A copy of divorce decree is not required.
If unable to come to the office during this time for any reason, you can request an affidavit and have it notarized to receive a marriage license. More Information on the process.
Complete the Application
YOU CAN SUBMIT THE INFORMATION BEFORE ARRIVING BY USING THE ONLINE MARRIAGE APPLICATION VIA EAGLEWEB
- Click Public Login
- Select Applications on Menu above.
- Click New to start application
Information Required For Marriage Licenses
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Place of birth (state or foreign country)
- Number of this marriage (first, second, third, etc)
- Marital status (widowed or divorced, if previously married)
- Education (highest grade completed)
- Full birth names of both parents (first, middle, and maiden last)