An Erosion and Sediment Control Land Disturbing Permit from Rockingham County is required if land disturbance of greater than 10,000 square feet occurs or if the site is located within a greater plan of development, such as a subdivision, etc.
This permit must be obtained prior to beginning any construction or grading. Rockingham County does offer an agreement-in-lieu of a plan on single family dwellings
within the county disturbing less than one acre.
For agricultural project details and exemptions, please see the Erosion and Sediment Control Ordinance
Obtain a Permit
In order to obtain a land disturbing permit, the following must be submitted to the Erosion and Sediment Control and Stormwater Management administrators:
- A completed application
- An approved Erosion and Sediment Control plan and narrative- Must be engineered if disturbing greater than 1 acre or 43,560 square feet
- Permit and plan review fees
- An assurity bond
- An approved Stormwater Management Plan
- A copy of the state Virginia Stormwater Management Plan (VSMP) permit registration statement (if disturbing greater than one acre) is required
- A recorded Responsible Land Disturber (RLD)