Manufactured Home Permit

Although manufactured homes are inspected through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), they require additional on-site placement inspections through Rockingham County. Contact Building Services for more information. 

All new dwellings, require a VDOT Entrance Permit , and either Health Department documentation for well and septic, or a Public Works availability letter for public water and sewer. 

To determine if a manufactured home can be placed on your property, visit the County’s Zoning Ordinance under the use Dwelling, Manufactured Home or contact the Zoning Administrator. If the manufactured home is to be located within a manufactured home park, an approval letter must be obtained from the park owner or management before applying for a building placement permit.

If the property is located within town limits, the town will administer all zoning and related regulations. To determine if your property is located within a town, please visit Rockingham County’s GIS Map

The year, make, and model of the home being installed will be required, along with dimensions, floor layout, foundation plans and/or pier placement plans, and size of deck(s) or porch(es). Deck plans are required for decks and porches larger than a 5’x5’. 

Building and related permits can be applied for in person or by using the online portal. To best prepare, have all supporting documents complete before applying.